We have compiled a list of the main services within Medway to assist you in creating a settled home environment.


We hope that you find this helpful and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask our staff, they will be able to help or they may be able to suggest someone who can help.


Shelter Adviser 


Shelter Adviser are part of the Council, they are a team who help parents and carers when they have become or are becoming homeless. They provide emergency housing while they help you find somewhere else to live and look into your situation further. They offer you with a B&B, a Homeless Hostel, a flat or a house.



Medway Talking Therapies


Everyone goes through difficult times; sometimes our problems affect our day-to-day lives and we feel that we can’t cope. If you are in this situation, you are not alone. Medway Talking Therapies is a FREE, confidential service, commissioned by the NHS, and available to anyone aged 18 or over and who is registered with a GP in Medway.




Most parents would like ideas or help with their parenting at some time in their child's life. At Netmums, there course, aims to give all parents and carers faith in your own abilities, to know that you are “good enough” and “can do it”.

  • Part 1, Getting the Best, covers praise, discipline and keeping calm; it looks at some helpful strategies for getting the best from your children.

  • Part 2, Stopping the Worst, deals with family rules, behaviour, self- esteem and choices; it focuses on understanding and managing worst behaviour and agreeing family boundaries.

  • Part 3, Families Together, covers feelings, nurture and labels; it explores how relationships with our children work and looks at having fun together. There are also some useful tools to keep things going.

  • Telephone: 01634 335566

  • Email: familyinfo@medway.gov.uk

  • Website: http://www.medwayfisd.com/kb5/medway/fis/service.page?id=BlBilRRnStc


Respite and short breaks

If you are caring for someone you may be able to get respite care to give yourself a break from your role. Day respite can be provided to offer short period of respite.



Child Law Advice


This website explains the law on Parental Responsibility, what this means in practice and how you can acquire Parental Responsibility.



Starting Secondary School


Medway Council has an easy process on how to apply for a secondary school. If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan or statement of special educational needs you can apply through this admission process, just contactseneducationteam@medway.gov.uk.

Hover if your child does not have any of the above you can simply apply online on the website.


·       Email: seneducationteam@medway.gov.uk

·       Website: http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/school-admissions/starting-secondary-school/apply-for-a-place#guide-content

Special Education Needs Travel


Medway Council offer a range of flexible travel assistance options for children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN). Parents or carers can apply for travel assistance when their child has a final or amended Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or a statement of Special Educational Needs.

To apply for SEN travel assistance for the first time you will need to complete an application form online or by paper.


·       Application Link: http://new.medway.gov.uk/education/apply-for-sen-travel-assistance

  • Telephone: 01634 333 333

·       Email: seneducationteam@medway.gov.uk

·       Website: https://www.medway.gov.uk/info/200170/children_and_families/475/special_educational_needs_travel


Applying for free school transport


Medway Council offer this is for children who attend the nearest qualifying school from their home address and live over the minimum distance. This means they are eligible for free home to school transport.

Application forms are available from all Medway libraries, Contact Points and Community Hubs.


  • Telephone: 01634 333 333

·       Email: schooltransport@medway.gov.uk

·       Website: https://www.medway.gov.uk/info/200166/getting_to_school/350/apply_for_free_school_transport